Most Active Stories
- Creative Living E-Newsletter Sign Up
- A Celebration of Blues & Soul: The 1989 Inauguarl Concert airs Monday at 8:30 pm
- Titanic - Band of Courage airs on Sunday, March 9th at 7 pm
- "Bob Dylan: The 30th Anniversary Concert Celebration" airs on Saturday, March 8th at 9 pm
- Joe Bonamassa: Tour de Force - Live in London airs on Monday, March 10th at 7 pm
Tue November 19, 2013
Enjoy a musical journey while visiting seven European countries with Rick Steves on Sunday at 11 am
Rick Steves, America's leading authority on European travel, teams up with the Cascade Symphony Orchestra and maestro Michael Miropolsky for a musical journey that begins in the United States, and touches down in seven different European countries. The special, taped at the Edmonds Center for the Arts near Seattle, Wash., celebrates music's power to stir the patriotic soul. Playing musical tour guide, Steves utilizes his extensive knowledge of European history and culture to help set the context for each piece. Then, the orchestra performs a selection of stirring 19th-century anthems by Romantic-era composers, including Grieg, Smetana, Strauss, Berlioz, Elgar, Wagner and Verdi. Each selection honors a particular nationality, while the finale, Beethoven's "Ode to Joy" (Europe's official anthem) pays homage to the continent's motto of "United in Diversity." The music is accompanied by a montage of evocative video images from each country.
Rick Steves Special: Symphonic Journey airs on Sunday, December 1st at 11:00 a.m. and on Wednesday, December 4th at 8:30 p.m. on channel 3 and at 7:00 p.m. on December 7th on channel 3-1.