Most Active Stories
- Creative Living E-Newsletter Sign Up
- Michael Feinstein New Year's Eve at the Rainbow Room airs the 31st, at 9 pm
- Christmas with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir airs on Friday, December 19th at 9 pm
- "Elsa's Legacy: The Born Free Story" on Nature, airs the 17th at 7 pm
- Sacred Journeys Pt. 3 and Pt. 4 continue on Tuesday, the 23rd, beginning at 7 pm
Tue November 20, 2012
The Last Word In Business
Originally published on Tue November 20, 2012 5:29 am
RENEE MONTAGNE, HOST:
And today's last word in business: 'Tis the season for shopping days with names.
LINDA WERTHEIMER, HOST:
It's not just Black Friday anymore. With stores opening earlier and earlier, Black Friday is fast becoming Black Thursday. You might still go out and bargain hunt on Friday, but be warned, there's no rest for you on Saturday. There's now Small Business Saturday, when shoppers are encouraged to buy from local stores.
MONTAGNE: Sunday is, at least for now, a day of rest, but after that it's back to buying. Cyber Monday, a term coined by the National Retail Federation, is the day for big online discounts.
WERTHEIMER: If you missed them, no worries. Grab your smartphone and prepare for Mobile Tuesday, a day of deals only available through mobile devices. Mobile Tuesday has some competition, however. Charitable organizations are organizing Giving Tuesday, to encourage people to donate some of their time or gifts to those in need.
MONTAGNE: Which brings us to next Wednesday, which we suggest be dubbed Wrap Up Wednesday. After all that shopping, shouldn't you be done by now?
And that's the business news on MORNING EDITION from NPR News. I'm Renee Montagne.
WERTHEIMER: And I'm Linda Wertheimer. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.