Most Active Stories
- The Texas Tenors - You Should Dream airs on Monday, December 2nd at 8:30 pm
- Creative Living E-Newsletter Sign Up
- "Finders Keepers" on Antiques Roadshow airs at 7 pm on Monday the 23rd
- "Three Faiths, One God: Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Pt. 1 airs on Thursday, the 19th at 7 pmt
- Amy Grant narrates "Crisis of Faith" on Thursday, December 26th at 9 pm
Thu October 25, 2012
Lewis Nash Quintet, Kurt Elling On JazzSet
Originally published on Thu July 11, 2013 1:19 pm
There are three stages at the Newport Jazz Festival. At least two are always running simultaneously. Given the surfeit of options, it's rare to hear a complete set. The question begins to nag: Should be we somewhere else? And away you go, leaving a work in progress to make sure you don't miss one getting underway.
But sometimes if you choose a spot on the lawn and stay put, the juxtaposition of two bands delivers a fine festival experience. Sunday morning, August 5, 2012, on the Quad Stage is such a time.
Back-to-back, we hear the Lewis Nash Quintet and the nine-time Grammy nominee Kurt Elling, here to introduce his album 1619 Broadway:The Brill Building Project. The album was named for a New York address for songwriters from Duke Ellington to Paul Simon.
Nash Set List
"Teddy" (Bobby Hutcherson)
"Arioso" (James Williams)
"Ain't That Peculiar" (Smokey Robinson)
Elling Set List
"Come Fly With Me" (Sammy Cahn & Jimmy Van Heusen)
"Dedicated To You" (Saul Chaplin, Sammy Chan & Hy Zaret)
"On Broadway" (Jerry Lieber, Barry Mann & Cynthia Weil)
"The Waking" (Theodore Roethke)
"Golden Lady" (Stevie Wonder)
Recording and Surround Sound mixes by WBGH's Antonio Oliart.