Most Active Stories
- Find out about infant bones found in Ben Franklin's basement on Secrets of the Dead
- Magician Ricky Jay is profiled on American Masters airing Friday, January 23rd at 9 pm
- "The Black Keys" and "J. Roddy Walston" perform on Austin City Limits on the 31st
- Shakespeare Uncovered airs on Friday, January 30th beginning at 9 pm
- Genealogy Roadshow II visits the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia
Thu October 6, 2011
Live Blog: Obama News Conference
President Obama is this hour holding a news conference at the White House. We're live-blogging, so be sure to hit your "refresh" button to see our latest additions. If you'd like to hear the news conference, click "LISTEN LIVE" in the box above.
Update at 11:12 a.m. ET. On Tax Cuts:
Republican lawmakers make the case that the president's $447 billion jobs bill relies too much on tax increases and not enough on spending cuts.
The president is making the case, though, that the package includes things that Republicans have long been advocating. "Why would you be opposed to tax cuts for small businesses and tax cuts for American workers?" the president asks of GOP lawmakers.
Update at 11:10 a.m. ET. Economy Is Weaker In Part Because Of "Debt Ceiling Debacle":
The president concedes the economy is weaker than had been expected when the year began. He says among the reasons are the tsunami in Japan that hurt manufacturers' supply chains and demand for goods, the financial problems in Europe, and "the debt ceiling debacle" in Washington that was "a bit of game playing that was completely unnecessary."
Update at 11:07 a.m. ET. Senators Need To Think Long And Hard:
If they vote next week to oppose his $447 billion jobs package, the president says, senators will need to explain that to voters.
Update at 11:02 a.m. ET. It's All About Jobs:
The reason he keeps taking about his jobs bill, the president says he begins the news conference, "is that people really need help now."