Most Active Stories
- Find out about infant bones found in Ben Franklin's basement on Secrets of the Dead
- Magician Ricky Jay is profiled on American Masters airing Friday, January 23rd at 9 pm
- "The Black Keys" and "J. Roddy Walston" perform on Austin City Limits on the 31st
- Shakespeare Uncovered airs on Friday, January 30th beginning at 9 pm
- Genealogy Roadshow II visits the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia
Tue November 22, 2011
Obama Gets Heckled, Occupy-Style
Here's what it sounds like when protesters use the Occupy Wall Street "human microphone" technique to heckle the commander in chief.
As President Obama was talking earlier today at a high school in Manchester, N.H., a voice was raised — and then echoed by others in the style used by Occupy protesters in New York when they aren't allowed to use bullhorns or microphones but want to pass messages along in a large crowd.
"Mr. President!" a voice shouted. "MR. PRESIDENT!" others repeated.
"Over 4,000 peaceful protesters." "OVER 4,000 PEACEFUL PROTESTERS!"
"Have been arrested!" "HAVE BEEN ARRESTED"
As those voices were trying to call attention to the Occupy movement, others started to counter with chants of "Obama!" and "fired up, ready to go!"
The president, meanwhile, paused and said "no, no, no; that's OK." And when things calmed down a bit he told the protesters that "I appreciate you guys making your point. Let me go ahead and make mine. I'll listen to you and you listen to me."
Expect to see more of this sort of thing on the campaign trail. And Occupy protesters have heckled Republicans, such as House Majority Leader Eric Cantor of Virginia, as well (he's been "mic-checked at least once too).