Most Active Stories
- Find out about infant bones found in Ben Franklin's basement on Secrets of the Dead
- Magician Ricky Jay is profiled on American Masters airing Friday, January 23rd at 9 pm
- "The Black Keys" and "J. Roddy Walston" perform on Austin City Limits on the 31st
- Shakespeare Uncovered airs on Friday, January 30th beginning at 9 pm
- Genealogy Roadshow II visits the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia
Sunday at 7:30 p.m.
Fri March 9, 2012
Oscar Hammerstein: Out of My Dreams
Oscar Hammerstein-Out of My Dreams airs Sunday, March 11th, at 7:30 p.m.
Oscar Hammerstein - Out of My Dreams is a celebration of the most acclaimed lyricists and librettists of the 20th century, the man who worked in the theater for over 40 years, writing the lyrics for over a thousand songs and the books for 45 operettas and musicals. His legendary musicals include Rose Marie (1924), Show Boat (1927), Oklahoma (1943), Carousel (1945), South Pacific (1949), The King and I (1951) and The Sound of Music (1959). After working in the theater for over 20 years, Oscar Hammerstein teamed up with Richard Rodgers and their collaboration changed the American musical forever, transforming it from lighthearted entertainment to real life stories told by believable characters, often with an important theme or underlying message. The program is hosted by Matthew Morrison, the star of the Emmy award-winning television series, Glee. He has starred in highly acclaimed Broadway musicals such as The Light in the Piazza, Hairspray, Footloose and South Pacific, the 2008 Tony winner for Best Revival. As Lieutenant Cable, he sang one of Oscar Hammerstein's most iconic songs, "You've Got To Be Carefully Taught."