Most Active Stories
- Creative Living E-Newsletter Sign Up
- Michael Feinstein New Year's Eve at the Rainbow Room airs the 31st, at 9 pm
- Christmas with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir airs on Friday, December 19th at 9 pm
- "Elsa's Legacy: The Born Free Story" on Nature, airs the 17th at 7 pm
- Sacred Journeys Pt. 3 and Pt. 4 continue on Tuesday, the 23rd, beginning at 7 pm
San Francisco Opera
The WFMT Radio Network continues our American Opera series with SAN FRANCISCO OPERA - 8 operas from their past season and a 1974 historic opera hosted by Elaine Warner and Dianne Nicolini. Performed in the War Memorial Opera House, their home since October 1932. This year's series will include Wagner's Die Walküre and Lohengrin; Bellini's The Capulets and the Montagues; Mozart's Così fan tutte, and Offenbach's The Tales of Hoffman.
The second largest opera company in North America, San Francisco Opera was founded by Gaetano Merola in 1923. The company's first performance (La Bohème) took place on September 26, 1923 in the city's Civic Auditorium, with Queena Mario and Giovanni Martinelli and conducted by Gaetano Merola himself. Nine years later, the company moved into its permanent home, inaugurating the newly built War Memorial Opera House with a performance of Tosca on October 15, 1932 with Claudia Muzio, Dino Borgioli, Alfredo Gandolfi, and conducted by Merola.
Following Gaetano Merola's death in 1953, San Francisco Opera was led by Kurt Herbert Adler until 1981; by Terence A. McEwen until 1988; by Lotfi Mansouri until 2001; and by Pamela Rosenberg until 2006. For the past seven years, the company has been under the exciting direction of David Gockley!
San Francisco Opera has presented the United States debut performances of numerous artists, including Inge Borkh, Boris Christoff, Marie Collier, Sir Geraint Evans, Mafalda Favero, Tito Gobbi, Sena Jurinac, Mario del Monaco, Birgit Nilsson, Leontyne and Margaret Price, Leonie Rysanek, Elisabeth Schwarzkopf, Giulietta Simionato, Renata Tebaldi, and Ingvar Wixell; conductors Gerd Albrecht, Valery Gergiev, Sir Georg Solti, and Silvio Varviso; and directors Francis Ford Coppola, Harry Kupfer, and Jean-Pierre Ponnelle.
- Aug 30: PUCCINI: Tosca (in Italian)
- Sept 6: WAGNER: Der Fliegende Hollander (in German)
- Sept 13: BRITTEN: Peter Grimes (in English)
- Sept 20: ROSSINI: Il Barbiere di Siviglia (in Italian)
- Sept 27: R. STRAUSS: Die Frau ohne Schatten (in German)