Most Active Stories
- Find out about infant bones found in Ben Franklin's basement on Secrets of the Dead
- Magician Ricky Jay is profiled on American Masters airing Friday, January 23rd at 9 pm
- "The Black Keys" and "J. Roddy Walston" perform on Austin City Limits on the 31st
- Shakespeare Uncovered airs on Friday, January 30th beginning at 9 pm
- Genealogy Roadshow II visits the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia
Mon November 25, 2013
"Building the Great Cathedrals" on NOVA airs Wednesday, December 25 at 8 pm
Carved from a hundred million pounds of stone, soaring effortlessly atop a spider web of masonry, Gothic cathedrals are marvels of human achievement and artistry. But how did medieval builders reach such spectacular heights? Consuming the labor of entire towns, sometimes taking a hundred years to build, these architectural marvels were crafted from just hand tools and stone. Many now teeter on the brink of catastrophic collapse. To save them, an international team of engineers, architects, art historians and computer scientists searches the naves, bays and bell-towers for clues to how the dream of these heavenly temples on earth came true. NOVA’s teams perform hands-on experiments to investigate and reveal the architectural secrets that the cathedral builders used to erect their soaring, glass-filled walls. On this dazzling journey, inside the jewels of Gothic architecture, the filmmakers of the award-winning NOVA documentary “Secrets of the Parthenon” reveal the hidden formulas, drawn from the pages of the Bible itself, that drove medieval builders ever upward.
"Building the Great Cathedrals" on NOVA airs on Wednesday, December 25th at 8:00 p.m. on channels 3 and 3-1.