Most Active Stories
- Creative Living E-Newsletter Sign Up
- A Celebration of Blues & Soul: The 1989 Inauguarl Concert airs Monday at 8:30 pm
- Titanic - Band of Courage airs on Sunday, March 9th at 7 pm
- "Bob Dylan: The 30th Anniversary Concert Celebration" airs on Saturday, March 8th at 9 pm
- Season III of Call the Midwife begins on Sunday, March 30th at 7 pm
Thu December 13, 2012
"Building the Great Cathedrals" on Nova airs Wednesday, December 26th at 8:00 pm
Carved from a hundred million pounds of stone, soaring effortlessly atop a spider web of masonry, Gothic cathedrals are marvels of human achievement and artistry. But how did medieval builders reach such spectacular heights? Consuming the labor of entire towns, sometimes taking a hundred years to build, these architectural marvels were crafted from just hand tools and stone. Many now teeter on the brink of catastrophic collapse. To save them, an international team of engineers, architects, art historians and computer scientists searches the naves, bays and bell-towers for clues to how the dream of these heavenly temples on earth came true. NOVA’s teams perform hands-on experiments to investigate and reveal the architectural secrets that the cathedral builders used to erect their soaring, glass-filled walls. On this dazzling journey, inside the jewels of Gothic architecture, the filmmakers of the award-winning NOVA documentary “Secrets of the Parthenon” reveal the hidden formulas, drawn from the pages of the Bible itself, that drove medieval builders ever upward.
"Building the Greaet Cathedrals" on Nova can be seen on Wednesday, December 26th at 8:00 pm.