Most Active Stories
- The Texas Tenors - You Should Dream airs on Monday, December 2nd at 8:30 pm
- Creative Living E-Newsletter Sign Up
- "New York Philharmonic Gala with Yo-Yo Ma" on Live From Lincoln Center airs Tuesday at 7:00 pm
- "Marvin Hamlisch: What He Did for Love" on American Masters airs Friday, December 27th at 9 pm
- Amy Grant narrates "Crisis of Faith" on Thursday, December 26th at 9 pm
Thu April 5, 2012
Chamber Music Intimacy At The 2012 Savannah Music Festival
Originally published on Thu April 5, 2012 10:34 am
Think of Savannah, Ga. and an image of the definitive old Southern city comes to mind — Spanish moss-draped parks, Victorian buildings and a lifestyle of elegant repose. Yet for a couple of weeks each spring, before the steamy weather hits, the 279-year-old city transforms into a swinging music party during the Savannah Music Festival.
This week, during the festival's 10th anniversary, we're highlighting concerts (see below) from some of the top chamber music performers.
The festival seems to broaden its musical reach every year. If your tastes run to jazz and blues, traditional Indian music, bluegrass, Baroque, cabaret, flamenco or funk, you could be satisfied in Savannah.
Each year, the festival spreads its concerts out over a dozen venues throughout the city's historic district. But most of the classical chamber music shows are reserved for the Telfair Academy, part of the oldest public art museum in the south, founded in 1883. Click on the links below to hear the concerts we've gathered so far.