Most Active Stories
- Find out about infant bones found in Ben Franklin's basement on Secrets of the Dead
- Magician Ricky Jay is profiled on American Masters airing Friday, January 23rd at 9 pm
- "The Black Keys" and "J. Roddy Walston" perform on Austin City Limits on the 31st
- Shakespeare Uncovered airs on Friday, January 30th beginning at 9 pm
- Genealogy Roadshow II visits the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia
Fri April 4, 2014
Jerzy Popieluszko: Messenger of the Truth airs Monday, the 7th at 9 pm
Narrated by Martin Sheen, MESSENGER OF THE TRUTH tells the remarkable true story of Catholic priest and human rights activist Father Jerzy Popieluszko (1947-1984), whose faith, conviction and courage mobilized the people of Poland to stand against Communist rule during the 1980s. In his powerful sermons, Father Jerzy spoke about human rights, railed against injustice and tyranny, and advocated for truth and freedom. Archival recordings and footage from his masses provide a glimpse into how Father Jerzy's stirring oratory ignited and sustained the Polish Solidarity movement. Father Jerzy's following in this almost wholly Catholic country, not to mention his outspokenness on behalf of workers' rights, eventually drew the attention of the Soviet-backed regime and the secret police. Members of the Polish internal intelligence agency eventually succeeded in silencing Father Jerzy, assassinating him in 1984. Not surprisingly, Father Jerzy's death turned the young priest into a martyr and only served to further galvanize the movement and the nation. His legacy was further cemented in 2010, when Pope Benedict beatified Father Jerzy — the last step before achieving sainthood in the Roman Catholic Church.
Jerzy Popieluszko: Messenger of Truth airs on Monday, April 7th at 9:00 p.m. on channel 3.