Most Active Stories
- Creative Living E-Newsletter Sign Up
- Michael Feinstein New Year's Eve at the Rainbow Room airs the 31st, at 9 pm
- Christmas with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir airs on Friday, December 19th at 9 pm
- "Elsa's Legacy: The Born Free Story" on Nature, airs the 17th at 7 pm
- Sacred Journeys Pt. 3 and Pt. 4 continue on Tuesday, the 23rd, beginning at 7 pm
Deutsche Welle Festival Concerts
For a cross-section of the world’s most exciting classical music artists and a mix of repertory from old favorites to new discoveries, visit the German festival season. If you can’t do that, Deutsche Welle Festival Concerts are your one-stop solution. Electrifying performances in “made in Germany” recording quality, introduced by host Rick Fulker and the artists themselves. Esa-Pekka Salonen, Sir Roger Norrington, Kent Nagano, Kristian Järvi and Mariss Jansons are among the other conductors in these first thirteen concerts of the season. The soloists make for an equally impressive list, including Russian-born pianist Igor Levit, Iranian-born harpsichordist Mahan Esfahani, Austrian mega-percussionist Martin Grubinger and violinists Frank Peter Zimmermann and Baiba Skride. Musical metropolis Cologne has two new festivals, one dedicated to early music, the other to modern. We take you to both. Headliner at the Cologne Festival of Early Music was soprano Emma Kirkby, whom you can hear in one of her signature roles, Queen Dido from Purcell’s Did¿ & Aeneas. The focus of Cologne’s Eight Bridges Festival was Greek composer Iannis Xenakis, his music presented here back-to-back with Bach, and with major works of the 20th century.
Nov 26: Eight Bridges, Festival for New Music in Cologne
- ADAMS: Short Ride in a Fast Machine
- GANDER: Orchannibal corpse (2013), world premiere
- REICH: New York Counterpoint for eleven clarinets
- ABRAHAMSEN: Concerto for Piano and Orchestra
- ZAPPA: Four Pieces for Solo Drummer and Orchestra
- LIGETI: San Francisco Polyphony
- BEETHOVEN: Symphony No. 1 in C, Op. 21; Symphony No. 2 in D, Op 36; Symphony NO. 3 in E-Flat, Op. 55, "Eroica"
- BEETHOVEN: Symphony No. 4 in B-Flat, OP. 60; Symphoony No. 5 in c, Op. 67
- BEETHOVEN: Symphony No. 6 in F, Op. 68, "Pastoral"; Symphony No. 7 in A, Op. 92
- KENW/KMTH-FM presents continuous holiday music from 7:00 pm on the 24th until 11:00 pm on the 25th.
- BEETHOVEN: Symphony No. 8 in F, Op. 93; Symphony No. 9 in d, Op. 125